Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tuesday Talks | Over Hyped Books


I've decided to join the group Tuesday Talks on Goodreads and today's discussion topic is Overhyped books.

There are a lot of overhyped books floating around in the YA bookosphere and odds are you've heard of them (TFIOS, Percy Jackson, Twilight, The Hunger Games, the list goes on and on). But frequently these books aren't as great as their hype builds up, which is the cause of much disappointed.

I, personally, steer clear from any major opinions. I just want to know whether it was "good" or "bad" before reading it, and even that is sometimes too much. Before going into a book, if I expect greatness, then I typically am let down, but the vice versa stands true as well. Since I spend so much of my time reading ARCs and lesser-known books, I frequently get behind on the "latest" teen reads. Usually I just read them, regardless of their hype, just so I can be in the loop and stay part of all the discussions and fangirling.

My general thinking goes "if a book is popular, then there must be a reason why"(though I'm still figuring out Twilight's answer), so I am definitely not someone to turn down a book simply because it is "overhyped" and honestly it bugs me when people do. The philosophy "I'm not going to read this because it's popular" bothers me because not only are they missing out on a good book, but, by automatically judging the book as a "bad" one, they're subconsciously persuading other people to do the same.

While overhypedness does have its negatives, there are some positives. Of course, hyping a book boosts its success. The more people that know about it, the more people that read it, the more people that buy it, thus the more money the author gets.

Though overhyping creates ridiculously high expectations, there's a lot of books I wouldn't even know had it not been for the hype. Like most things it has its good and bads.

Let me know what you guys think in the comments below! Do you frequently read overhyped books? Or do you try and stay away from them?

No comments:

Post a Comment