Saturday, November 9, 2013

Just One Day | Gayle Forman


"Allyson Healey's life is exactly like her suitcase: planned, packed and ordered. Then on the last day of her three-week post-graduation European Tour, she meets Willem. A free-spirited, roving actor, Willem is everything she's not, and when he invites he to abandon her plans and come to Paris with him, Allyson says yes. This uncharacteristic decision leads to a day of risk and romance, liberation and intimacy: twenty-four hours that will transform Allyson's life.

A book about love, heartbreak, travel, identity and the "accidents" of fate, Just One Day shows us how sometimes in order to get found, you first have to get lost... and how often the people we are seeking are much closer than we know." 

I'm just going to be blunt about it. I hated this book. It had a mediocre, at best, plot, along with predictable and unlikable characters. I understand that this is fiction, but its realistic fiction. Honestly, what are the chances of this happening in real life? I feel as though the main audience of this book will be thirteen and up girls. Most of them are naive and after reading books like these, will accept any offer they receive, believing they have found "the one." Am I saying that this will never happen? No. But the chances are so close to none, its worthless to believe that's your fate. 

The characters were extremely predictable. Allyson was the "good girl" who broke the rules once and now finds that freedom so tempting that its seeping into everything that she does. I can somewhat relate to her, I am a good girl. Maybe I haven't "broken from my shell" yet but the change from good girl to rebel was too dramatic and too sudden, almost to the point where it was impossible. Willem. To be completely honest, I don't understand what's so captivating about him. If you look at him in a completely detached manner, he sounds like every scumbag that enticed a girl into a one-night stand. Just because it's a book, he's going to end up as the good guy, and there swoons every teenage girl. Melanie just annoyed me. She claims to be a good friend then dumps Allyson. Not that I can blame her. 

Even though every aspect of this book annoyed me so much, it did have some good messages concerning identity. I am able to connect with her slightly regarding her "good girl" status. Although I'd never head to Paris with some random guy. Overall I thought this book was overdone and overrated. I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment