Monday, February 3, 2014

Beautiful Chaos | Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


Ethan Wate thought he was getting used to the strange, impossible events happening in Gatlin, his small Southern town. But now that Ethan and Lena have returned home, strange and impossible have taken on new meanings. Swarms of locusts, record-breaking heat, and devastating storms ravage Gatlin as Ethan and Lena struggle to understand the impact of Lena's Claiming. Even Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals is affected-- and their abilities begin to dangerously misfire. As time passes, one question becomes clear: What-- or who-- will need to be sacrificed to save Gatlin? 

For Ethan, the chaos is a frightening but welcome distraction. He's being haunted in his dreams again, but this time it isn't by Lena-- and whatever is haunting him is following him out of his dreams and into his everyday life. Even worse, Ethan is gradually losing pieces of himself-- forgetting names, phone numbers, even memories. He doesn't know why, and most days he's too afraid to ask. 

Sometimes there isn't just one answer or one choice. Sometimes there's no going back. And this time there won't be a happy ending. 

Non-Spoiler Review

Beautiful Chaos is the third installment in the Caster Chronicles. If you haven't read any of the books before this one: Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness, then stop reading this review and go read those books. This one picks up from where Beautiful Darkness ended. The Order has been broken and the End of Days is coming, unless Ethan can figure out how to fix it. 

Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Things I Liked

The character development in this book was so well written. I began to like every character (except Liv, which I will get to later). Lena, John, Ethan and even Dark characters like Sarafine were developed in such a way, it was impossible to not like them. 

My favorite thing in this entire book was definitely the flashbacks into Sarafine's past. In this book, she wasn't just Lena's evil mother. Now she has a real identity, a real past, and real emotions from the audience. This made her death all the more memorable. 

In the previous book, Lena was the jealous, standoffish girlfriend and she annoyed me a lot. After Ridley cast the Furor and Lena was able to see Liv's perspective, she became more understanding. She understood Liv's position in her lack of friends and they became closer, as did the rest of the cast of characters. 

Things I Disliked

I have to admit, I'm not too fond of the Liv/John pairing. I knew it was never going to happen, but I always hoped that Liv and Ethan would end up together. I could feel how uncomfortable Ethan was whenever he walked in on Liv and John. I'm really happy that Liv ended up happy, but I really wanted to see Ethan and Liv together. Also, this might just be me, but I pictured Liv as a tough. smart chick so for me, she cried way too many times.

Ridley frustrated me a lot in this book. It seemed to me she was trying way too hard to be Dark. I completely get where she's coming from, but it was just so heartbreaking to watch Link get turned down after he poured his heart out to her. I hope they resolve this conflict because i really want to see Link happy; he's one of my favorite characters. 

The ending was literally the worst thing ever. I knew that Ethan was The One Who is Two the moment I learned about his fractured soul. Although I honestly didn't think I cared that much. It was when he said goodbye to Link and Lena that I started crying, basically bawling. Because of this ending, I am so thankful I waited to read it; I don't think I could have handled that cliffhanger without the next book in hand. 

Overall I give this book an 87%, I don't think it's the best book in the series, but if you've gotten through the first two, it's definitely worth reading.
What did you guys think? Tell me in the comments!  

No comments:

Post a Comment