Thursday, February 13, 2014

Beautiful Redemption | Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


Ethan Wate has spent most of his life longing to escape the stiflingly small Southern town of Gatlin. He never thought he would meet the girl of his dreams, Lena Duchannes, who unveiled a secret, powerful, and cursed side of Gatlin, hidden in plain sight. And he never could have expected that he would be forced to leave behind everyone and everything he cares about. So when Ethan awakes after the chilling events of the Eighteenth Moon, he has only one goal: to find a way to return to Lena and the ones he loves. 

Back in Gatlin, Lena is making her own bargains for Ethan's return, vowing to do whatever it takes-- even if that means trusting old enemies or risking the lives of the family and friends Ethan left to protect.

Worlds apart, Ethan and Lena must once again work together to rewrite their fate, in the stunning finale to the Beautiful Creatures series. 

Non-Spoiler Review

Beautiful Redemption is the fourth and final book of the Caster Chronicles. And I really really really recommend this series. This book is so beautifully written and is definitely worth the time. Also in this book, we get a dual perspective of both Ethan and Lena, which makes the entire story all the more effective. If you haven't read it yet, or the series at all, then go read it! It's so good. 


Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Things I Liked

There was so much to this book that I loved, I don't even know where to start. I'm going to start with the general plot line, which unfolded so perfectly. Everything happened how it was supposed to, yet the book remained to be unpredictable. There was never a minute of inaction. 

The character development was done so well. Comparing the first book to the last, I saw how much each character had grown and changed, and how much Gatlin itself had changed. I was especially proud of Lena, in my mind she learned the ultimate lesson. During the first two books, she somewhat took Ethan for granted, but once she'd lost him, she finally figured out how much she needed him around, and that fueled her motivation to get the Book of Moons to get him back.

The development of Sarafine was also done wonderfully. As we start to get glimpses of her past, she becomes less a figure of evil and more a relatable human. Her final death in the last book solidifies this view. She died so Ethan could live. So he could defeat Angelus. They had a common enemy which allowed her to put aside her hatred for him. This idea of self- sacrifice is getting more and more populat within YA fiction, and every time I think it's done so well.


Things I Disliked

One thing I thought could have been better was the way the dual passages were done. I wished they switched every other chapter, because then I felt like I could have gotten an equal amount from both sides. I wanted to see Lena's perspective when she found the crossword puzzles in the newspaper, or when Ethan asked her for one of her charms. I think reactions from both would have been more effective. 

Overall I would rate this book a solid 95%. It's my favorite book in the series and definitely worth read! 
If I had to rate the books in order...
1. Beautiful Redemption
2. Beautiful Creatures
3. Beautiful Chaos
4. Beautiful Darkness

I can't wait until May when the spin-off series featuring Link and Ridley comes out. I can't wait to read how their story turns out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment