Thursday, November 6, 2014

Words With An Author | Tyler Lazar

How have you been, my fantabulous readers?

It's been a while since we've done a Words With an Author and today I'm happy to have Tyler Lazar, author of The Last Glass, here with us. Let's ask her some questions!



   1. How did you get into writing? When did you first start writing?
     I started writing when I was about fifteen/sixteen. It was mainly short stories in my notebooks.  

 2. Where did you come up with the idea for The Last Glass? Who/ what is your inspiration?

The Last Glass started out as a dream that I had. I told my best friend about it and she thought it would be cool if I made into a story. When I got home later that night, I started to write. My inspiration for The Last Glass comes from the town  I live in, Mechanicville. It’s small, and to me, boring. I came up with the idea to turn my small, boring town into something cool, and mysterious.

 3. Are any of your characters based on people you actually know, if so which ones?

Sophie and Justin are based on my best friend and another friend from high school. I wanted to bring it out their personalities in my characters.  

 4. Have you written anything before The Last Glass?

I have. It was a fanfic story a friend and I wrote together. It’s not published or anything, just something we did for fun during our living environment class. The story was about zombies, and a band that both she and I loved. We took turns writing it, but we never had a chance to finish it.

 5. If you had to pick only five books from your bookshelf you could keep, what would they be?

Daylighters (A Morganville Vampires book), Bitten (A Women of the Otherworld book), The Perfect Game, The Queen of Swords, and Bender.

 6. Who is your favorite character from any book and why?

That’s a tough one, I have so many favorite characters. Hmmm, my all time favorite would have to be Shane Collins from The Morganville Vampires series. Shane is a badass human who kicks vampire butt.  He also is extremely good looking and a sweetheart. 


 7. How long did the writing process take for The Last Glass? From conception of the story to final publication?

The writing process for The Last glass took a while, only because I was in high school when I started writing it. I had the first ten chapters of The Last Glass written before I decided to put it away and concentrate on finishing school. Three years later, I had stumbled across it and from there I was determined to finish it. I went through and rewrote the entire thing from what I had originally. It took about a year to write. The original copy was written on sheets of paper that I had in a binder.

 8. Who are some of your favorite authors?

Rachel Caine, Kelly Armstrong, J. Sterling and Stacy Borel.

9. What actors/ actresses could you see playing the characters of your book? 

One I can think of right now, is Dylan O’Brien  


10. How did you come up with the title and cover of The Last Glass? Did they morph as you wrote the book, or were they constant?

I didn’t have a name at first for The Last Glass, that came later on when I finally finished it. At first I was calling it ‘The Creatures of Mechanicville’. Which later on I changed to ‘The Creatures of Grimmsburg”. I sat down and thought for an hour on what to call the book, that’s when The Last Glass popped into my head.  The Last Glass has had two covers. Out of the two, I am completely in LOVE with the last one!!!

11. Are you planning to write any other books?

Yes! I have already written two more novels. The Dark Prince, which is book two in The Creatures of Grimmsburg series and Nightingale which is book one in a new NA romance series I’m writing called Sarasota Boys.  

 12. What would your advice be to someone who's aspiring to be a writer?

My advice would be, give it your all. If you have a story that you’d like to tell the world, do it. You might be nervous or scared for whatever reasons. Just remember we’ve all been there, you’re not alone. Do what you love to do and what makes you happy.

 13. Finally, just to wrap things up, what's your favorite color and why?

I have two favorite colors. Red and green. I love green because it’s calming and it’s a pretty. Red because it’s bold and daring.


Where to Find Her:

No comments:

Post a Comment