Monday, August 18, 2014

Clockwork Princess | Cassandra Clare


Tessa Gray should be happy—aren't all brides happy? Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.

This is the third and final book in the Infernal Devices Series, so I'm going go directly into the spoiler filled discussion of the book, however I will link my reviews to the other books in this series. 


Spoiler-Filled Review


Honestly, starting this book was an obstacle for me. I knew this was the last book, and I knew most of the fandom had reacted so heavily towards it. People cried over this book, and laughed during this book, and were overall very very depressed when it was over. And I just wasn't ready. But after a few days I was finally able to get into it, and then I practically flew through it. 

Before I get into the plot, let me cover the love triangle, which I thought, was one of the biggest parts of the series. If there's anything any YA author should take away from this book, it would be how to write a proper love triangle. The relationship between Will, Jem, and Tessa was nothing like any other love triangle I have read. All three of them love each other equally. The interactions between the three weren't dramatic and overdone, they were touching and heartfelt. Cassandra Clare has truly restored my faith in love triangles. 


The question circulating throughout the fandom is 'Team Jem or Team Will?' and my answer, from the beginning has always been Will. I don't hate Jem, though I will admit his "death" didn't really make me feel anything. But I do have an explanation for this. Jem is calm, he's mild, he takes everything peacefully, not letting himself get disturbed. He barely seemed to feel any strong emotions, save for a select few emotions. On the other hand we have Will, who is passionate and angry about everything. He makes snarky comments and loses his temper over the smallest things. Personally, I like the passionate guy, the one who feels more, which to me is Will. 

It wasn't until the end of this book that I realized how much I really loved Tessa as a main character. Sure she kept going back and forth between Will and Jem, but who wouldn't, both of them are fine men and it would be a hard decision on either one of them. Even so, once she had declared her engagement to Jem, she turned Will away even though it hurt her. Repeatedly she offered to give herself up so Jem could get his yin fen and live. Then at the end she single handedly killed Mortmain by Changing into the angel inside her Clockwork Angel.

Did anyone else see that Jem would become Brother Zachariah? Because I didn't at all. I figured something weird was up because Jem's death didn't elicit that much emotion from me, the only really touching scene was when Will felt the parabatai cord snap.

I know this may sound a bit strange, but my favorite scene in the book was when Will and Tessa had sex in the cave, well afterwards when Magnus walked in on them. If I had to pick any character to walk in while two characters are having sex, it would be Magnus, and he did not disappoint. He did an extraordinary job of making both Will and Tessa feel uncomfortable and I love him for that. 

As of now I'm struggling with the epilogue. About 90% loves it, thinks its absolute perfection. However, there's 10% that seems to think of it as a cop out, letting Tessa have both Will and Jem. I'm happy for Tessa, being able to have both, but at the same time I can't imagine being her and having to watch your husband and kids and grandkids grow up and die while you continue living. I knew that Will died in the end, but I was so happy that he got to live a life with Tessa before it happened. Also I did notice that the epilogue took place in 2008...this is the time of Clace and Sizzy and Malec. I have a boatload of questions running through my head. Are they gonna meet? Is Tessa going to compare Will and Jace? I just don't know! 

I don't have too much to say about the main plot with Mortmain simply because I think it was great, but predictable, the real gold in this book was in the characters and their interactions with each other.

The only book I have left is City of Heavenly Fire and I'm probably going to procrastinate so much reading this because I don't want it to end. I'm already falling into post-book depression...


No comments:

Post a Comment