Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Opposition | Jennifer L. Armentrout


Katy knows the world changed the night the Luxen came. 

She can't believe Daemon welcomed his race or stood by as his kind threatened to obliterate every last human and hybrid on Earth. But the lines between good and bad have blurred, and love has become an emotion that could destroy her-- could destroy them all. 

Daemon will do anything to save those he loves, even if it means betrayal.

They must team with an unlikely enemy if there is any chance of surviving the invasion. But when it quickly becomes impossible to tell friend from foe, and the worls is crumbling around them, they may lose everything-- even what they cherish most-- to ensure the survival of their friends... and mankind. War has come to Earth. And no matter the outcome, the future will never be the same for those left standing. 

This is the fifth and final book in the Lux series.

Generally I really enjoyed this book. It was a really good mix of action and romance, although I admit it did seem a bit short. Because this is the fifth book of the Lux Series, I'm going to go straight into my spoiler-filled discussion. I'll link the reviews to the rest of the books below.

Obsidian
Onyx
Opal
Origin


Spoiler-Filled Review

I had read the previously four books about a year ago, and absolutely fell in love with them. I love the characters and the plot, which only thickened as the books progressed, and although I didn't like this book as much as the first few, it did not disappoint. 

1) The Characters 

The last books I read were the Shatter Me Trilogy, which didn't really have the best characters, so anything was really an improvement from them. But after starting this book I really remembered why I loved Kat so much. She continually make random book references throughout the book, which I loved. At the most inappropriate times, the most intense and tense scene she would make a Harry Potter reference and everyone would give her a strange look, and my respect for her grew. She's also incredibly kickbutt. She's strong and independent and is so awesome. 

Then we got Daemon. I honestly liked him better in the first couple of books because he wasn't as love struck or mushy. But he was still pretty awesome. Something about his jealousy and confidence is really really hot...

Again I preferred Katy and Daemon (Kaemon) in the first two books way more. Their love hate relationship was entertaining and fun to read about. In this book, since they were married and together and all of that, they were doing it like bunnies. Literally everywhere and all the time. During these scenes I was some parts this: 


Other parts this: 


And most parts this:


I have to say, besides Kat, Archer was probably my favorite character. I have this pattern of liking minor characters who don't really have a role. But he must have felt so awkward, with Kaemon and being able to read their minds, but he used his power to his advantage and made everyone else feel uncomfortable. 

Lastly we got Beth and Dawson, both of which weren't in this book all that much. I really wanted to see more of Beth's pregnancy and I thought it would cause a bit more problems within the plot, but it really didn't. I'm glad they got their happy ending, but I wanted something problematic to happen. 

2) The Plot

The plot was intense to say the least. Almost immediately we jump straight into the action, with Kat being whisked off to where all of the Luxen were staying. Then we follow the entire scheme to get rid of the Luxen from the planet using the Arum, then we have a war and then it's over. I liked that there was an actual point to the entire book. Most of the scenes progressed the plot at least somewhat. I never got bored reading this book, which I'm happy about. 

3) The Writing

For some reason, it's becoming a theme to write the last book in a series as a dual point of view. I don't necessarily mind as long as it's done well. It doesn't seem like a hard thing to do, but to really master it you have to be able to write in two distinct voices so you can tell apart the characters without having to flip back and find out whose perspective it's from. At the beginning, it was a bit difficult to tell who was narrating, but as I got more accustomed to their voices, it became a bit easier to tell them apart as the book progressed. 

Personally I thought the ending came a bit too soon. The version of the book I had included the novella from Dawson's perspective, however I didn't take the space the novella would take up into account as I was reading Opposition. I was reading through the final action scene and it seemed too soon for the book to be over since it seemed like I had a big chunk still left, so naturally I was expecting something even bigger. Then Daemon got shot, and I was in my seat like "this is it, the big show down is about to happen, leggo." 

Then a few pages later I read the words: Epilogue




Needless to say, I freaked out a bit, couldn't breathe for a few minutes. And then finally calmed down enough to finish the book. Did anyone else experience this, or was it just me? Let me know in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment