Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Walking Fish | Kopel & Rachelle Burk


A humorous, exciting tale of an ordinary girl who makes an extraordinary scientific discovery—a blind fish that walks

When seventh-grader Alexis catches an unusual fish that looks like a living fossil, she sets off a frenzied scientific hunt for more of its kind. Alexis and her friend Darshan join the hunt, snorkeling, sounding the depths of Glacial Lake, even observing from a helicopter and exploring a cave. All the while, they fight to keep the selfish Dr. Mertz from claiming the discovery all for himself. When Alexis follows one final hunch, she risks her life and almost loses her friend. Walking Fish is a scientific adventure that provides a perfect combination of literacy and science.

Another first in my experimentations of other genres, and once again I was simultaneously surprised and impressed. I was ready to critique it as a middle-grade, not exactly comprehending what exactly that meant, but I went into it expecting a "middle grade read", something I, understandably, would not enjoy. However, it surpassed my expectations. I enjoyed the characters, the plot, the setting. It was a fantastic mix of creative and realistic. 

The protagonist Alexis has so much determination and perseverance, a quality that is incredibly inspirational to younger children. This is definitely a book I would recommend as a cute, young read either for yourself or a younger sibling/child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment