Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tuesday Talks | Manga/Comic Books


Welcome to yet another post of Tuesday Talks! Tuesday Talks is a Goodreads group started by Janie and Janelle where we discuss book related topics every week. Today's discussion is on manga/comic books.

I will say that I don't really read comic books/manga. So many of my friends have been obsessed with it and have heavily encouraged me to try it, but I don't love it as much as I love the traditional book. That being said, I don't think of it as not reading, but I don't believe it's to the same level as a novel.

A comic book is equivalent to a picture book, I would say. There's nothing wrong with reading it, but I don't think an author can introduce the same depth of theme and problem in these comic books as they can in a novel. I don't read comic books very often, so I could be heavily misunderstood, but from my understanding of comics, the words and picture don't stimulate the brain as much as a book does.

Frequently I'll read a book and just think about it for days, as I did with Hunger Games. I'll think about the themes of debt and rebellion and how that ties in with our society. I just don't think a comic book of the Hunger Games would have the same effect.

What do you guys think? Are comic books considered reading? Let me know in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment