Thursday, August 6, 2015

P.S. I Still Love You | Jenny Han


Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.

She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.

When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.


As a companion novel to To All the Boys I've Loved Before, I had high expectations going into this book. All of them were met until the end, which I'll talk more about in the Spoiler-Filled Discussion. We get to see more of Lara Jean and Peter, both struggling through this relationship of theirs, dodging different obstacles like Genevieve and John Ambrose. 


I think my favorite part of this book, besides the cute, cheesy romance, was the interactions between the characters. The relationship between Lara Jean and her sister, Peter and Genevieve, and Lara Jean and John all played significant roles in the arc of the story. 


All in all, I think it was a very well-written conclusion to the story, even though I did have some specific problems with it. 


It's a cute contemporary read, perfect for the summer weather. I'll link my review to To All the Boys I've Loved Before in case you want to learn a bit more about the storyline and characters. 



Spoiler-Filled Review

While the story was cute and adorable, there were bits and pieces that I just didn't love. 

My first issue was with Peter. I'm not going to lie, I never really liked Peter. In the first book I was Team Josh and in the second book I was Team John. Peter never seemed like the ideal boyfriend for Lara Jean and this book confirmed just confirmed my beliefs. 

Genevieve constantly disrupted their relationship both intentionally and unintentionally. Throughout the entire book Lara Jean felt insecure about Genevieve and Peter's relationship and while some people might say she's being unnecessarily jealous, I completely understand the place she's coming from. It's not the fact that Peter is talking to a girl. It's the fact that he's missing games and secretly talking and meeting up with his ex-girlfriend, who is secretly plotting to get him back. Peter wasn't in wrong, but I just think he should have been more open and honest about it with Lara Jean, especially if his relationship with her was in trouble. 

Near the end Lara Jean had told him that she deserves someone who'll put her first and I completely agree with that. I don't think Peter was the one to do that. He and Genevieve have too much history and too many ties to cut off. But I do think John would have been able to do that for her, which is why I liked him more than Peter.

At least in the first book there was some secret behind Josh and Margot's relationship that made me feel weird about Josh and Lara Jean. But in this book, nothing got between John and Lara Jean, leaving me wondering why John wasn't a viable candidate. 

I'm happy for Lara Jean but I still wonder what could have happened if she pursued something with John. I understand this was Peter and Lara Jean's love story, but I still preferred John. The ending is really what brought the book down for me, but I'm sure all you Peter fans loved it. 

Were you guys Team Peter or Team John? Let me know in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment