Saturday, May 24, 2014

Rebel | Amy Tintera



The sequel to the action-packed Reboot is a can't-miss thrill ride, perfect for fans of James Patterson, Veronica Roth, and Marie Lu.

After coming back from death as Reboots and being trained by HARC as soldiers, Wren and Callum have finally escaped north, where they hope to find a life of freedom. But when they arrive at the Reboot Reservation, it isn't what they expected. Under the rule of a bloodthirsty leader, Micah, the Reboots are about to wage an all-out war on the humans. Although Wren's instincts are telling her to set off into the wilderness on their own and leave the battle far behind, Callum is unwilling to let his human family be murdered. When Micah commits the ultimate betrayal, the choice is made for them. But Micah has also made a fatal mistake . . . he's underestimated Wren and Callum.

The explosive finale to the Reboot duology is full of riveting action and steamy love scenes as Wren and Callum become rebels against their own kind.

Non-Spoiler Review


This book is the second and final book in the Reboot duology. The first book, Reboot, is in a dystopian world where the human population has mostly been wiped out by KDH virus. But where people die, they can "reboot" and come back to life except their better fighters, can heal faster, and have less emotion. The longer time between the rebooting, the less human the new reboot is. Reboot follows the story of Wren Connolly, who has practically the highest number, one hundred seventy eight. She's supposed to be emotionless, but when Callum, a twenty-two, comes in, she realizes that maybe she's not as heartless as everyone says she is. The second book continues their journey and develops their relationship, which is the most I can give away without ruining both books. It's action-packed and cute and a fairly short and fun read. Go read both of them, come back and we'll discuss! 



Spoiler-Filled Review


This story had the perfect mix of action and romance. It starts off with Wren, Callum and a bunch of other reboots arriving at a reboot reservation run by a man named Micah. As they stay there a couple of days, they learn that Micah has been recruiting reboots to basically try and kill off the human race. Callum is inherently against this, but Wren, well Wren doesn't really care. She's done her part in 'saving the world' and all she wants is her happily ever after with Callum, which I totally understand. 

I really loved Wren's character development throughout both books. She's basically been brainwashed by HARC into believing she's inhuman and cruel and heartless, and as she meets Callum and finds herself going against the HARC, freeing reboots in other facilities, she begins to learn that she still has the ability to think for herself. Within the second book, it's more of an emotional development. She begins wondering why she's never guilty and the idea of killing people for anything other than self defense starts becoming less and less appealing. I think this was partially due to Callum, who discouraged free killing and general violence. She was just such a strong female lead. Her fighting skills were absolutely incredible and I loved watching her fight off anyone who disagreed with her or got in her way. 

Surprisingly I really liked Callum in this book. Normally Im not a huge fan of sensitive and emotional characters (it really draws away from the badassery of a book), but Callum was just kind of perfect. He had morals, and even though they sometimes hindered him, they were also important in his overall character. And he wasn't constantly fawning over Wren. He knew that Wren was more than capable of taking care of herself, but he also understood exactly when she did need his help.

Callum and Wren's dynamic was perfect. They reminded me of Percy and Annabeth. Both of them need each other and both contribute differently to the relationship. They both understand that they're independent but will do anything in their power to save each other. I'll admit, the romance was sometimes a little bit out of character considering the circumstances they were in, but it was cute none the less. Since they were always kissing in public or showing some kind of affection, I wish the other characters made fun of them a little bit more, just because I think it would have been really funny and cute. 

There was one major thing I didn't like in this book, and that was the pacing. Considering this was the final book in the duology, there was a lot of things happening in this book, which just happened way too fast for me. The entire book stretches the span of a week or so, which seemed really fast. It doesn't seem possible to get a majority of the support from a group whose been loyal to the opposition for so long. The events in the book, although they were interesting, were very very skimmed over. I wanted to see more hardships in actually executing the plan rather than the same characters breaking bones and getting hurt over and over again. When I sat down to read this book this morning, I truly thought it would take me over a day, and a few hours later I was done, which was really surprising. 

Veronica Roth has taken away my trust in any books that are from dual perspective. I get anxiety finding out the last book is from multiple points of view because of Allegiant. This book almost gave me a heart attack. I'm reading the last big fight and Riley gets shot, and I'm like 'ok. Sad, but I'll live' but then Callum gets shot and I'm like '?!?!!? You can't do this to me!' At this point, my breathing is shallow and tears may have been leaking. Then a page later, he gets up because the bullet was just 'lodged within his eyesocket'. That was not necessary. I did not need to be panicked like that.

The ending didn't really upset me like it has for so many other books. Of course I want more. I always want more. But it was a pretty good place to leave off. Although I still firmly believe that every book should have an epilogue. 

What did you think? Zombies, vampires or reboots? Let me know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment