Thursday, June 11, 2015

Miss Mayhem | Rachel Hawkins


Life is almost back to normal for Harper Price. The Ephors have been silent after their deadly attack at Cotillion months ago, and best friend Bee has returned after a mysterious disappearance. Now Harper can return her focus to the important things in life: school, canoodling with David, her nemesis-turned-ward-slash-boyfie, and even competing in the Miss Pine Grove pageant.

Unfortunately, supernatural chores are never done. The Ephors have decided they’d rather train David than kill him. The catch: Harper has to come along for the ride, but she can’t stay David’s Paladin unless she undergoes an ancient trial that will either kill her . . . or connect her to David for life.


A year ago, when Rebel Belle, came out I raved on and on about the perfection within it. Needless to say, the standards were set pretty high and, as a result, Miss Mayhem didn't match my predictions. More than anything, this felt like a filler book, but I most likely will be continuing the series to find out how it ends. I really recommend Rebel Belle, though I honestly think it would have been fantastic as a stand-alone rather than a trilogy. 


Spoiler-Filled Review 


There were several reasons why this book just didn't appeal to me as much as Rebel Belle did. My first and biggest reason was that this book seemed to me as a filler book. Nothing really happened. Harper was given a trial, one she really didn't complete and there was barely any progress made in the fantastical aspect. 

The second thing that really disappointed me was the romance in this book. I was really looking forward to some intense awkwardness between Ryan, Harper and David. But all I got was a bunch of fickle high-school drama. Breaking up, making up, making out behind closed doors, I expected so much more out of the characters, something I just didn't get. 

While Miss Mayhem was a fun book to read, for me it didn't live up to the high expectations set by Rebel Belle. Hopefully, the next, and final, book in the trilogy will redeem itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment