Saturday, May 30, 2015

Free For All Friday | Prom Antics

Today's the day millions of girls all over the world dream about. It's the day that is showcased in TV shows and movies to be "the best day of your life." It's prom.

If there's anything you should know about me it's that I hate unnecessary antics. And to me, there's nothing more unnecessary then spending hundreds of dollars on one night, an overrated, extremely fancy school dance. 

First there's the promposal. If you're a couple, you already know you're going to prom together so why do you need to make a big deal about it. Why do you have to plan a flash mob and force everyone to practice the dance multiple times? It seems like an unnecessary waste of time and effort. I know I seem like a cynic, but I promise I'm not. I just think promposals should be saved for those who aren't expecting it. 

Secondly there's the dress. Thankfully my dress shopping wasn't extensive. But I've heard the stories. You buy a two hundred dollar dress, then you have to spend another hundred getting it tailored so you don't trip and fall over the ridiculously long hem. Then you have to shop for all the accessories: the necklaces, earrings, makeup, shoes, etc. AND you have to make sure they perfectly match your dress. It's just too much. And if you're taking a date, forget it. They have to get you a corsage, and their tie/shirt has to perfectly match your dress. I honestly don't care if your tie is three shades greener than my dress. It makes no difference to me. 

Then there's the day of prom; the hair appointments, the nail appointments, the hours getting ready, and then the ridiculous number of pictures.

Prom never felt like a big deal for me. My high school goal isn't to be prom queen, it's to graduate as a valedictorian. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but prom queen has never been in my agenda. I'm also quite bitter since I'm missing BEA to attend prom, and while I'll try to have a good time, prom is not my scene so who knows what will happen. 

Snapshot Saturday, if it's on time, will probably showcase my time at prom. 

Do you guys have any prom stories? Good ones? Bad ones? Let me know in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment